The joint statement of 13 October stated that the governments had „asked the parties, after hearing from their members, to confirm their agreement by 10 November“. In a statement, Sinn Féin said that „on 6 November, Sinn Féin Ard Chomhairle instructed the party leadership to follow the course of action taken in St Andrews and to continue the ongoing negotiations to resolve the outstanding issues“ and that they are „firmly convinced that all outstanding difficulties can be resolved.“ According to the DUP statement, „As Sinn Féin is not yet ready to take the decisive step in police work, the DUP will not be obliged to engage on any aspect of power-sharing before that certainty.“ While neither statement „accepted“ the agreement, both governments stated that there was sufficient support from all parties to continue the process. Northern Ireland Minister Peter Hain called the deal an „amazing breakthrough“ on BBC Radio Five Live. Prime Minister Bertie Ahern said that if the deadlines set by both governments were not met, „the plan will be shaken and there will be a step towards Plan B without further discussion.“ Ian Paisley, Chairman of the Democratic Unionist Party, said: „Unionists can have confidence in the progress of their interests and the victory of democracy.“ He also said: „The implementation of the central issue of the police and the rule of law begins now.“ Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams said plans needed to be consulted, but the restoration of political institutions was a „huge price.“ Ulster Unionist Party president Reg Empey called the agreement a „Belfast agreement for slow learners.“ Mark Durkan, chairman of the Social Democratic and Labour Party, said welcome progress had been made in restoring power-sharing institutions. Alliance Party Chairman David Ford said the result was a „mix of challenges and opportunities.“ [3] In the parliamentary elections, the DUP and Sinn Féin won both seats and thus consolidated their position as the two main parties in the Assembly. Peter Hain signed the order to restore the institutions on March 25 and warned that the meeting would be closed if the parties did not reach an agreement before midnight the next day. DuP and Sinn Féin members, led by Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams, met for the first time in person on 26 March and agreed to form an executive on 8 May, with the DUP firmly committing to entering government with Sinn Féin. Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern welcomed the agreement. On 27 March, the emergency law was presented to the British Parliament to facilitate the six-week delay. The St Andrews Agreement No 2 was passed without a vote in the House of Commons and the House of Lords and obtained royal approval, such as the Northern Ireland (St Andrews Agreement) Act 2007, that evening.